Thank you to all the parents, students, tutors and MEP volunteers who assisted to yesterday’s kick-off meeting.
Some of questions that were answered then:
- The MEP program is approved for the NSW Creative Kids Voucher 😀
- Rock Band rehearsals (weekly) are during class time***.
- The String ensemble is a “classical” string ensemble – with violin, viola, cello and double-bass. A classical guitar may be considered – on audition only.
- New students are welcome to join the RoseVox choir, Percussion ensemble, Junior Concert Band and String Ensemble this week. There is no formal deadline for joining – the earlier the better. If unsure – go in and give it a try. Calendar here.
- The MEP Tutors provide their (weekly) lessons at school – during classes ***. You are free to take lessons with other tutors outside of school of course.
- If you play guitar in a rock band and want to join the concert band as your CORE ensemble – you must pick (and learn with a tutor) another instrument suitable for ensemble playing. The Bass is the most obvious choice for guitar players (but not the only one).
- The MEP can loan a few instruments (bass/guitar and of course drums and keyboards…) for practice at the school – but you must have your own at home.
- There is a limited number of scholarships available to encourage students to pickup a LOW Brass instrument. (Sousaphone, Trombone etc). Contact Murray for more details.
- If you haven’t done it yet – please fill out the Expression of Interest Form. This is also for returning students please.
*** Rock band practice and school-approved tutoring sessions are organized with a “permutation” schedule so that students do not miss repeatedly the same subject. The school administration is involved to manage the roll-call impact.
New students, please fill in the Expression of Interest form found on our forms page.
Existing students, rehearsals for Junior Concert Band, Junior Stage Band, Senior Concert Band, Senior Stage Band, Jazz Ensemble and Percussion Ensemble start February 3rd.
Rehearsal schedule as per last year and MEP students to return to 2019 bands and ensembles. Murray will communicate any changes from then.
MEP Information Night is on Monday February 10th at 6.30pm in the School Hall. Parents/carers and students welcome.
Thank you to everyone who participated or attended our end of year performances. 2019 has been a rewarding year with a successful band tour, gold and silver awards in the NSW band festival, our jazz ensemble receiving second place and an impressive 96% at the Sydney Eisteddfod, and all our rock bands and a number of our ensembles impressing audiences at Festivilion.
If you or your child attended Festivilion, please fill in the short survey below.
See you in 2020.
Congratulations to all our MEP performers for their brilliant performances on Saturday 16th November. Rose Bay SC literally rocked the Pav with our rock bands taking over the amphitheatre, our jazz ensemble, The Middle Men, performing in the Seagull Room, and our choir, Rose Vox, delighting audiences inside the courtyard.
A big thank-you to parent Merran Hughes, who organised much of the day including our involvement. And thanks to all the parents who volunteered on the day and to Sean Windsor, Mel Forbes, Scott Wright, Cassy Darvall and Murray Jackson, and our roadies, year twelve students, Finnbar Brennan, Travis Jenkin-Broadie and Will Connor. Finally, thanks to Waverley Council and Harris Farm for their support.
Our end of year rock band concert will be held as part of Festivilion at the Bondi Pavilion on Saturday 16th November. The fun starts 10am and will be running until late.
Thanks to the generous support of Harris Farm, we are holding a bbq to feed the hungry hoards, so come hear the bands and help us raise some much needed funds.
Your help would be much appreciated if you could join us on the BBQ roster – you can sign up there https://signup.com/go/uiCrgGU
The MEP Rock Bands will be performing as part of the Festivilion on 16th of November.
Thanks to the hard work of others, I’m delighted to inform you that the Music Ensemble Program is now registered as a NSW Creative Kids provider.
If you haven’t obtained and/or used a Creative Kids voucher yet, you can use your entitlement for this year’s MEP fees.
You simply obtain a Creative Kids voucher worth $100 using your Service NSW online account and then email email@example.com the Creative Kids Voucher Number along with the following information
- Student’s name exactly as it appears on the Creative Kids voucher
- Student’s Date of Birth
- Voucher number
Can you also let us know in the email you send to if the voucher is intended for
- 2019 Band Tour or
- 2019 Fees or
- 2019 carry over to 2020
This is particularly good timing for those students going on the Senior Band Tour.
Just remember the email is:
Many thanks to MEP treasurer Andrew Grogan and to RBSC Sport Committee chair Peter McCue for all the effort they put into making this happen, and a special thank you to P&C executives especially Kara Mikler, Cath Tooher and Jason Kwong for their incredible support and perseverance. We parents salute you!
The senior concert band, stage band, jazz ensemble and string ensemble are hitting the road.
Our senior bands are touring to Armidale from Sunday Sept 22nd to Thursday Sept 27th. We will be travelling by rail and visiting numerous schools and venues in the New England district including Bingara Public School, Warialda High School, Ross Hill Public, New England Conservatorium of Music and visits to local areas of interest including Green Valley Farm in Tingha and the Roxy Theatre and Cafe in Bingara.
It’s a great opportunity for the bands to extend their musical skills as well as a chance for our students to visit a thriving regional centre but one that is wrestling with the drought. Please contact the school or Murray if you haven’t got your Expression of Interest form as the deposit is due on Tuesday August 22nd.
Thank you to everyone who participated in our fundraiser at the City to Surf on Sunday August 11th. It was hugely successful with many Music Ensemble Program students and parents volunteering.
At the back of Bondi Pavilion, MEP volunteers processed over 7,500 bags (in fact people were so busy it was impossible to get a photograph of everyone at once) whilst up in wind-blown Dudley Page Reserve, some of our fantastic rock bands, Grapefruit, Lion and All of the Above, played to the nearly 85,000 participants in this year’s fun run.
Robert Goodman and Erica Vorsay very kindly (and magnificently) organised the volunteers, so a huge thank you to both of them as well as to everyone who helped out on the day.