With school returning full time from Monday 25th May, the MEP will not be able to run online rehearsals before, during or immediately after school. As a result, the conductors have set up online-only activities for the remainder of Term 2. The primary focus of this will be a cloud-application called Soundtrap. This is a platform that will allow the students to record themselves with their ensembles online.
Students will be required to check in with their conductors for a 15 minute Zoom meeting each week to discuss, debrief and problem solve. These sessions will be organised by the conductors for a time when all members of the ensemble can participate. The conductors will be posting weekly video tutorials with instructions for all activities in the Google Classrooms.
The new online arrangements will start from Monday 1st June. Each student has been sent an invite to participate in the relevant ensembles. Please check your relevant Google Classroom or with Murray or Sean if you have not received any communication.
We aren’t currently able to conduct P&C meetings due to current restrictions and P&C constitutional issues. We will let you know as soon as the MEP subcommittee can officially meet until then any queries regarding fees can be sent to our administrator Joanne Lia (Joanne.email@example.com).
MEP is up and running again. If you are in Concert Band or Stage Band and you haven’t received your invitation to join in your ensemble, please message Murray. If you are in Rock Band or Fundamentals and you haven’t received your invitation to join, please contact Sean.
Choir and Percussion Ensemble rehearsals are taking place once a week using video conferencing software. And all instrument tuition has moved to video conferencing software. If you have any questions, please contact your tutor direct.
And stay tuned for further updates …
All MEP ensemble rehearsals have been cancelled until further notice. This decision has been made in light of the updated social-distancing guidelines and the prohibition on all non-essential activity across the state from Tuesday 24 March.
At this stage we are planning to set up Google Classrooms for all our ensembles so that the students can stay engaged with their learning. We will be sending more information about this in the coming week.
Please check with your instrumental or vocal tutor to see how this may affect private tutorials. We have advised the tutors to work online as much as possible.
In the meantime, stay safe and well. There will be plenty of time for practising and working on your chops, so I can’t wait to see you all again soon.
Important information about fees for 2020.
For those parents wishing to use your $100 CK voucher in 2020, you need to submit the voucher by Friday February 28th to firstname.lastname@example.org
The $100 will then be deducted off your fees.
Please include in your email all the following information for each Creative Kids Voucher:
1. Student’s name exactly as it appears on the Creative Kids voucher.
2. Student’s date of birth
3. Creative Kids voucher number
Thank you to all the parents, students, tutors and MEP volunteers who assisted to yesterday’s kick-off meeting.
Some of questions that were answered then:
- The MEP program is approved for the NSW Creative Kids Voucher 😀
- Rock Band rehearsals (weekly) are during class time***.
- The String ensemble is a “classical” string ensemble – with violin, viola, cello and double-bass. A classical guitar may be considered – on audition only.
- New students are welcome to join the RoseVox choir, Percussion ensemble, Junior Concert Band and String Ensemble this week. There is no formal deadline for joining – the earlier the better. If unsure – go in and give it a try. Calendar here.
- The MEP Tutors provide their (weekly) lessons at school – during classes ***. You are free to take lessons with other tutors outside of school of course.
- If you play guitar in a rock band and want to join the concert band as your CORE ensemble – you must pick (and learn with a tutor) another instrument suitable for ensemble playing. The Bass is the most obvious choice for guitar players (but not the only one).
- The MEP can loan a few instruments (bass/guitar and of course drums and keyboards…) for practice at the school – but you must have your own at home.
- There is a limited number of scholarships available to encourage students to pickup a LOW Brass instrument. (Sousaphone, Trombone etc). Contact Murray for more details.
- If you haven’t done it yet – please fill out the Expression of Interest Form. This is also for returning students please.
*** Rock band practice and school-approved tutoring sessions are organized with a “permutation” schedule so that students do not miss repeatedly the same subject. The school administration is involved to manage the roll-call impact.
New students, please fill in the Expression of Interest form found on our forms page.
Existing students, rehearsals for Junior Concert Band, Junior Stage Band, Senior Concert Band, Senior Stage Band, Jazz Ensemble and Percussion Ensemble start February 3rd.
Rehearsal schedule as per last year and MEP students to return to 2019 bands and ensembles. Murray will communicate any changes from then.
MEP Information Night is on Monday February 10th at 6.30pm in the School Hall. Parents/carers and students welcome.